British Council invites students to take part in the open competition, which is a part of the nationwide Science Week which takes place on 23-27 October 2017, with the support of the Ministry of Science and Education of Russia. Three winners will travel to tha UK and receive other exciting prizes!
How to take part?
- Make a short scientific video (1-10 minutes) in Russian, put it up on Youtube or Vimeo with a clear title and description. In the caption to the posted video indicate that the work participates in the Science Week in Schools competition and send a link to the address: email@example.com before 31 October 2017 (18.00 Moscow time).
- In the text of the letter, tell about your video and indicate: name, school, city of residence, year of birth, phone (we recommend that you specify the data of the parent or teacher).
- Please set the privacy settings of the video to ‘Public’.
- Those who also post a video in Facebook or VKontakte with a hashtag #неделянауки_конкурс will also compete for the Audience Choice Award. The profile or post need to be public until 15 December 2017. The winner will be selected among those who will receive the most ‘likes’, reposts and comments.
What kind of video should it be?
The plot of the video should be dedicated to science and technology or their development in the future. Participants can choose a topic on their own or from the list:
- Space research
- 3D printing
- Artificial intelligence
- Portrayals of science and scientists in various art forms
- Life on Enceladus (Saturn’s moon)
- VR and AR (virtual and augmented reality)
- Computer games from the point of view of IT, psychology, design
- Impact of the technological progress on society
- Scientific interview: a conversation with a scientists or teacher
- Scientific lecture: deliver you own lecture!
- Science experiment: demonstrate a scientific experiment in front of a camera
Who can participate?
Students of Russian schools aged 7-17 (as of 31 August 2018).
All participants have to be Russian citizens living in Russia. Minimum level of English — Elementary.
Winners will be selected in three age groups:
- Ages 7-10
- Ages 11-14
- Ages 15-17
Winners will be selected by the expert panel comprised of the representatives of online school “Foxford” and the British Council. The results will be announced on 30 November 2017 on the British Council website and it accounts in social media. The competition organisers will contact the winners via email.
Award ceremony will take place at the British Council office in Moscow (1 Nikoloyamskaya St). The winners will also be able to receive prizes via post.
All participants will receive certificates of participation.
The main prizes of the competition are three 2-week English courses at Brooke House College or Centre of English Studies. All participants will receive a special prize by "Foxford" online school — promo code for a one-year standard online course.
The main prize also includes:
- accommodation and full board for the duration of the trip
- return air fare from the participants city of residence to London, transfer from the airport to the school and back
- visa fee and medical insurance.
The accommodation is provided with the carefully selected families, checked by the schools’ security teams, or in student residences (single accommodation with private bathroom). The trips will take place in summer 2018.
Brooke House College
Brooke House College is a summer language school located in Market Harborough, a 2-hour drive from London. For more than 30 years, Brooke House has been offering students at the age of 10 years to spend a vacation in Britain not only learning the language, but also doing sports: golf, horse riding, karting, football, volleyball and other active activities.
The campus occupies about 2 hectares. It features a training building, residences, sports grounds, a green zone. The school organises excursions to London, Oxford, Cambridge, York, Warwick Castle or even to train the football team of Manchester United.
A distinctive feature of the boarding school is the high academic requirements. 98% of graduates continue to receive education in prestigious universities.
Centre of English Studies
Centre of English Studies is a network of language schools in the UK accredited by the British Council and English UK, with campuses in Leeds, London, Oxford, Worthing, Harrogate and Edinburgh. The school offers courses for any level of language proficiency and a varied excursion and entertainment program. Available courses: General English, Intensive, IELTS Preparation, etc.
Foxford is an online school for school students (grades 3-11), teachers and parents. Online courses and individual lessons with a tutor help students prepare for the USE, OSE, olympiads, and study school subjects. Classes are taught by the tuturs from Moscow State University, MIPT, Higher School of Economics and other leading universities of the country.
For detailed Terms and Conditions, please consult the file attached (in Russian).