The Cultural and Education Section of the British Embassy in Moscow is inviting games industry professionals to take part in the online workshop “Design Thinking in Games”
The workshop is delivered in partnership with the Association for UK Interactive Entertainment (Ukie), Universal University and Scream School and is part of the international PlayUK Russia programme.
Dates and Duration
Session 1: Tuesday 23rd November, 6pm-9pm (Moscow)
Session 2: Tuesday 30th November, 6pm-9pm (Moscow)
Application deadline is Sunday 14 November 2021 23:59 (Moscow)
This workshop reveals a practical approach to designing and developing games that covers the topics that are key for successful game designers. You will learn what a game designer does day to day, be taught the outline of a useful design process, understand what to prioritise during development, learn how to work effectively as part of a team, and how to continue growing and developing your skills as a game designer.
This workshop is for anyone looking to develop existing skills to a higher level or wanting to learn about detailed games design, this is the perfect course for you.
The workshop will be delivered online via Zoom in English with no translation
We are welcoming applications from candidates working in a games’ company or studying on a games-related academic course at a degree equivalent level.
- The content is aimed at individuals who have 3 years or less experience working in a games environment or more experienced individuals who are changing their role within the games industry or starting a new studio;
- Individuals must be located within the Russian Federation,
- And have an excellent grasp of English, including an understanding of games terminology.
Attendance will be via Zoom so an internet-connected device is required. Each workshop lasts for 6 hours in total which will be split over two days. You will be expected to attend both 3-hour sessions in each workshop and there may be homework to undertake between the two sessions.
If you would like to take part, please, complete the application form by 14 November 2021 Sunday 23:59 (Moscow). Successful candidates will be informed by email no later than 17 November 2021. The number of places is limited to 20 people.
The workshop will be delivered by Kevin Cathew, Team 17
Kevin Carthew has worked professionally in video game design for over twenty years. During that time, he has performed virtually every role a game designer can undertake. With hands-on experience of a wide range of genres, he has been closely involved with the development of multi-million selling franchises including Worms, The Escapists and Overcooked. He is currently Head of Design at Team17, guiding his multi-discipline team to develop new games, and to support the many development partners on Team17’s game label.
- Introduction from Kevin and detail on his background and experience
- Overview of Games and Game Design from what games are, what games design actually means through to the role of a game designer in a studio
- Having the right mindset – being pragmatic, identifying who you are designing for, empathy with the player and understanding what you don’t know
- The tools of the game designer – focus on the personal and technical skills you need to be a game designer including communication, presentation and documentation
- The design process – where do ideas come from? How to develop skills for idea generation, setting a vision, building your design and testing
- How to increase the chance of success during development
- Prioritisation, input and accessibility
- Good habits to grow alongside development – market awareness, trends in business models, game jams, boardgames
- Additional skills to develop and further reading
- I have completed the workshop, what next?